[The Single Best Reference Book on Marketing Management: Kotler and Keller]
SUMMARY OF Marketing Management by KOTLER AND KELLER
Chapter 1: Defining Marketing for the 21st Century [SUMMARY]
1. Why is marketing important?
2. What is the scope of marketing?
3. What are some core marketing concepts?
4. How has marketing management changed in recent years?
5. What are the tasks necessary for successful marketing management?
Chapter 2: Developing Marketing Strategies and Plans [SUMMARY]
1. How does marketing affect customer value?
2. How is strategic planning carried out at different levels of the organization?
3. What does a marketing plan include?
Chapter 3: Collecting Information and Forecasting Demand [SUMMARY]
1. What are the components of a modern marketing information system?
2. What are useful internal records for such a system?
3. What makes up a marketing intelligence system?
4. What are some influential macro environment developments?
5. How can companies accurately measure and forecast demand?
Chapter 4: Conducting Marketing Research [SUMMARY]
1. What constitutes good marketing research?
2. What are the best metrics for measuring marketing productivity?
3. How can marketers assess their return on investment of marketing
Chapter 5: Creating Long-term Loyalty Relationships [SUMMARY]
1. What are customer value, satisfaction, and loyalty, and how can
companies deliver them?
2. What is the lifetime value of customers and how can marketers
3. How can companies attract and retain the right customers and
cultivate strong customer relationships?
4. What are the pros and cons of database marketing?
Chapter 6: Analyzing Consumer Markets [SUMMARY]
1. How do consumer characteristics influence buying behavior?
2. What major psychological processes influence consumer responses
to the marketing program?
3. How do consumers make purchasing decisions?
4. In what ways do consumers stray from a deliberative, rational decision process?
Chapter 7: Analyzing Business Markets [SUMMARY]
1. What is the business market, and how does it differ from the consumer market?
2. What buying situations do organizational buyers face?
3. Who participates in the business-to-business buying process?
4. How do business buyers make their decisions?
5. How can companies build strong relationships with business customers?
6. How do institutional buyers and government agencies do their buying?
Chapter 8: Identifying Market Segments and Targets [SUMMARY]
1. What are the different levels of market segmentation?
2. In what ways can a company divide a market into segments?
3. What are the requirements for effective segmentation?
4. How should business markets be segmented?
5. How should a company choose the most attractive target markets?
Chapter 9: Creating Brand Equity [SUMMARY]
1. What is a brand, and how does branding work?
2. What is brand equity?
3. How is brand equity built, measured, and managed?
4. What are the important brand architecture decisions in developing
a branding strategy?
Chapter 10: Crafting the Brand Positioning [SUMMARY]
1. How can a firm develop and establish an effective positioning in the
2. How do marketers identify and analyze competition?
3. How are brands successfully differentiated?
4. What are the differences in positioning and branding with a small
Chapter 11: Competitive Dynamics [SUMMARY]
1. How can market leaders expand the total market and defend market share?
2. How should market challengers attack market leaders?
3. How can market followers or nichers compete effectively?
4. What marketing strategies are appropriate at each stage of the product life cycle?
5. How should marketers adjust their strategies and tactics for an economic downturn or recession?
Chapter 12: Setting Product Strategy [SUMMARY]
1. What are the characteristics of products, and how do marketers classify products?
2. How can companies differentiate products?
3. Why is product design important and what factors affect a good design?
4. How can a company build and manage its product mix and product lines?
5. How can companies combine products to create strong co-brands or ingredient brands?
6. How can companies use packaging, labeling, warranties, and guarantees as marketing tools?
Chapter 13: Developing Pricing Strategies And Programs [SUMMARY]
- How Do Consumers Process And Evaluate Prices?
- How Should a Company Set Prices Initially for Products or Services?
- How Should a Company Adapt Prices to Meet Varying Circumstances and Opportunities?
- When Should a Company Initiate a Price Change?
- How Should a Company Respond to a Competitor’s Price Change?
Chapter 14: Developing Pricing Strategies and Programs [SUMMARY]
1. How do consumers process and evaluate prices?
2. How should a company set prices initially for products or services?
3. How should a company adapt prices to meet varying circumstances and opportunities?
4. When should a company initiate a price change?
5. How should a company respond to a competitor’s price change?
Chapter 15: Managing Retailing, Wholesaling, And Logistics [SUMMARY]
- What Major Types Of Marketing Intermediaries Occupy This Sector?
- What Marketing Decisions Do These Marketing Intermediaries Make?
- What Are The Major Trends With Marketing Intermediaries?
- What Are Private Label Brands?
Chapter 16: Designing And Managing Integrated Marketing Communications [SUMMARY]
- What Is The Role Of Marketing Communication?
- How Do Marketing Communications Work?
- What Are The Major Steps In Developing Effective Communications?
- What Is The Communications Mix, And How Should It Be Set?
- What Is An Integrated Marketing Communications Program?
Chapter 17: Managing Mass Communications [SUMMARY]
- What Steps Are Required In Developing An Advertising Program?
- How Should Sales Promotion Decisions Be Made?
- How Can Companies Exploit The Potential Of Public Relations And Publicity?
Chapter 18: Managing Personal Communications [SUMMARY]
- How Can Companies Conduct Direct Marketing For Competitive Advantage?
- How Can Companies Carry Out Effective Interactive Marketing?
- How Does Word Of Mouth Affect Marketing Success?
- What Decisions Do Companies Face In Designing And Managing A Sales Force?
- How Can Salespeople Improve Their Selling, Negotiating , And Relationship Marketing Skills?
Chapter 19: Introducing New Market Offerings [SUMMARY]
- What Challenges Does A Company Face In Developing New Products And Services?
- What Organizational Structures And Processes Do Managers Use To Oversee New-Product Development?
- What Are The Main Stages In Developing New Products And Services?
- What Is The Best Way To Manage The New-Product Development Process?
- What Factors Affect The Rate Of Diffusion And Consumer Adoption Of Newly Launched Products And Services?
Chapter 20: Introducing New Market Offerings [SUMMARY]
- What Factors Should A Company Review Before Deciding To Go Abroad?
- How Can Companies Evaluate And Select Specific Foreign Markets To Enter?
- What Are The Differences Between Marketing In A Developing And Developed Market?
- What Are The Major Ways Of Entering A Foreign Market?
- To What Extent Must The Company Adapt Its Products And Marketing Program To Each Foreign Country?
- How Do Marketers Influence Country-Of-Origin Effects?
- How Should The Company Manage And Organize Its International Activities?
Chapter 21: Tapping Into Global Markets [SUMMARY]
- What Are Important Trends In Marketing Practices?
- What Are The Keys To Effective Internal Marketing?
- How Can Companies Be Responsible Social Marketers?
- How Can A Company Improve Its Marketing Skills?
- What Tools Are Available To Help Companies Monitor And Improve Their Marketing Activities?
Chapter 22: Managing a Holistic Marketing Organization for the Long Run [SUMMARY]
1. What are important trends in marketing practices?
2. What are the keys to effective internal marketing?
3. How can companies be responsible social marketers?
4. How can a company improve its marketing skills?
5. What tools are available to help companies monitor and improve their marketing activities?
OLDER SLIDES ON MARKETING MANAGEMENT
- What is Marketing? The Marketing Process [24000 views]
- Illustrating the Marketing Process using Spam [9000 views]
- 5 Definitions of Marketing
- Segmentation and Targeting [24500 views]
- Positioning and Perceptual Maps [14000 views]
- SWOT Analysis; Market-Product Strategies [18000 views]
- BCG Portfolio Analysis [12000 views]
- How Environmental Forces Influence Marketing [16000 views]
- The Consumer Purchase Decision Process [23000 views]
- New Product Development [9000 views]
- Product Life Cycle [19000 views]
- PLC Analysis of Apple iPods in 2009 [100 views]
- Branding [7000 views]
- Packaging and Labeling [9000 views]
- Package Sizes in Emerging Markets
- Pricing [10000 views]
- Marketing Channels; Distribution [10000 views]
- Integrated Marketing Communications (IMC) [11000 views]
- Sales Promotions [7000 views]
- Advertising [200 views]
- 15 Innovative Print Advertisements [Video, 21000 views]
- Introduction to Global Marketing [7000 views]
- Target Markets and Modes of Entry
- Banned Print Advertisements
- Banned Print Advertisements 1
- Innovation in Emerging Markets
- Anonymous Teaching Testimonials written by my McGill University Fall 2010 students.